1 January 2019

Councillor’s Corner 18/19 No 14 – Be A Councillor

Pitmen supporter and HTFCSA committee member Paul Woodhead is a Cannock Chase District Councillor for Hednesford. You will see him around the ground most match days, usually as Pitman Pete and in the Strikers Bar after the game where you can talk to him about any matters or issues of concern.

In these articles I want to bring the role of the councillor alive to you and ensure I am accountable to you as the elected representative for the ward in which the football club resides. I will highlight some of the things I get involved with and the decisions the council makes on your behalf. I will be available after most home games for a general conversation and we can arrange a private discussion should that be appropriate. Alternatively you can contact me by phone on 07930 120077 or by email paul.woodhead@greenparty.org.uk

In 2019 we have our regular District Council elections with a single councillor to be elected in all 15 wards. However, this year we also elect all the Parish and Town Councillors across Rugeley, Brereton & Ravenhill, Brindley, Cannock Wood, Hednesford, Heath Hayes & Wimblebury, Norton Canes and Bridgtown. There are no parishes to cover Chadsmoor, Cannock or Rawnsley/Prospect Village/Hazel Slade.

Parish or Town Councils are the most local level of government and councillors are not paid. The councils do not have any statutory responsibilities but do have a budget to spend on the local community directly. Parish or Town Councillors are consulted about planning decisions and can act as a very community link to decisions made elsewhere.

You can Be A Councillor, you do not need to be a member of a political party just someone who is interested and works in their local community. If you are interested in finding out more please get in touch and have a look at this independent website set up by the Local Government Association https://beacouncillor.co.uk/